There is a lot of options to cook the perfect Thanksgiving turkey. Well, through trial and error, we have found the perfect turkey that your whole family will love. This turkey recipe is great for a moist, natural, & delicious whole turkey using many different all natural herbs and spices. Orange and lemon wedge’s makes this turkey super moist. You won’t go wrong by picking this one for all your holidays needs. This recipe is not a “spicy” recipe so it is only rated a “One Chile” heat level. I hope you and your family enjoy this as much as we did.
- One 14-15 pound whole natural turkey
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 6 fresh sage sprigs
- 6 fresh oregano sprigs
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp herbs de provence
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Position oven rack to the lowest third of the oven
- Rinse turkey and pat dry with paper towels
- Place turkey on a roasting rack inside a roasting pan.
- Place the orange and lemon wedges, onion, and 2 sprigs of each fresh herb in the turkey cavity
- Tie the legs together to hold the shape of the turkey.
- Stir 2 tbsp of butter, the herbs de provence, oil, and 1 1/2 tsp of each salt & pepper in a small sauce pan over medium heat, until butter melts.
- Rub the butter mixture all over the turkey and between the turkey breast meat and skin. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Let the turkey stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Cover the turkey with aluminum foil. Roast for 20 minutes. Pour 3 cups of broth into the pan and stir to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the remaining sprigs of fresh herbs to the pan. Roast the turkey for 40 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Remove the foil from the turkey & pour 1 more cup of broth into the pan. Continue roasting the turkey, basting occasionally, until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165 to 175 degrees & when the juices run clear (approx 1 1/2 hours longer).